"Who in the World am I?Ah! That's the great puzzle"

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Getting Away .......

Well It was a Tuesday night. Nobody expects shit to happen on a Tuesday night.....Friday night, Saturday Night or even Sunday night...those are the nights people expect things to happen but on a Tuesday???? Nah..... However, this incident took place on a Tuesday night! So my parents were out of town and like every spoilt kid waiting for an opportunity like this....I decided to spend the evening out with my friends.

Tuesday evening came....I went for  movie with my cousin (Pirates of the Caribbean....On Stranger Tides). After the movie I went out to have a few drinks with my friends at a local cafe that we usually hang out. Around 10pm we decided we should go for a drive so my friend and I, and my friend's friends(who had come from Bombay and Calcutta) hopped into the car and we drove along as the town-on-a-hill was retiring for the day. We went uphill further into the woods and then came upon an isolated area. We got some booze and snacks and sat there, telling each other spooky ghost stories and other stuff. It had been a little more then thirty minutes, when I saw some lights headed our way. It was pitch dark and at first, I thought it was a vehicle. (probably a motor cycle or something). The next moment....we could as well have jumped right off that cliff. There were two cops standing in front of us with flash lights! I knew that moment I was dead!

In a rough and authoritative voice, one of the cops shouted, "What the hell are you kids doing here at this hour?"
I didn't speak. My friend answered him.
Obviously the cops noticed the booze around and started interrogating us in that same tone. He asked us our names and the names of our fathers etc! In all that scary situation, one of  the cops asked me what caste I belonged to. Turns out he and I belonged to the same caste. So...things turned around. Slowly the tone of the voice changed. It got sweet. Then I started with the sweet-talking, "Well we are extremely sorry that we are causing you so much trouble but our friends just got here from the cities and we were showing them around."
Then, the cop went "You show them around during the day, not like this at night, okay?" he sweetly added.
"Sorry once again officers but we will never do this again." Then we went on to talk about how we meant no harm and the cops went on to explain how hard it is for them to do their duty. Then we talked about what place we came from and our backgrounds and they did the same. It was like making new friends in a new place and getting really really friendly!!!
The cops even went out to be extra nice to the city people and suggested they sit in the car for the air might be too chilly for them! They also apologized for ruining their vacation!
As we were getting into the vehicle, one of them even advised, "Do not drink and drive!"
"Yes, Sir" the response and we were out of sight!!!!

I think my friends and I were real lucky that the shit didn't get out of hand and somehow luck favoured us. For the past years I've been in cities, doing illegal shit and not been caught even once. The truth about this country is, whoever has the power of authority can fuck you up a zillion times and can fuck you up real good. Thats what normally happens when cops get into the scene; But man...were we lucky?!?!?!

Well that don't mean I am going to be a goody-two-shoes now on. Of course, I will go on breaking the laws but I only hope I get away with it each time :)

4 comments:

Aloha !! said...

:) ... I wish I could forward this link to that cop :).. Esp the last lines

Aloha !! said...

I wish I could send this link to the cops .. hehehe .. Esp the last few lines .. :) Nice one .. Adventures of Ms. Rai

rohinie said...

haha nana...lucky u

kode said...

gangtok cops that good , TOTALLY UNHEARD OF !!!
bet you were real lucky !!!