"Who in the World am I?Ah! That's the great puzzle"

Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Real Hero

If someone had asked me who Anuradha Koirala was some months ago, I'd just blink, stating blankness. However, some weeks ago, I came across a link where people all over the world could vote for one person nominated by CNN for CNN Heroes 2010. Obviously, It included people who had made a major difference and taken the social responsibility, despite the struggles and dangers to make this world a better place.

Anuradha Koirala is the director and founder of a non-profit organization in Nepal, called Maiti Nepal(meaning: Mother's home in Nepalese). She started the organization in 1993. Matiti Nepal is a home for the victims of sex trafficking. Koirala works against the social evil of using women as a sex slave and rescues girls/women forced into such heinous activity. Maiti Nepal provides shelter and work for these rescued women and even helps them find their family and return home. For those who are not accepted back into their family, Maiti Nepal, allows them to stay until they figure things out on their own and are able to earn a livelihood for themselves.

Honestly, I did not know much about it until a couple of weeks ago; But after I read about her commitment and dedication, I can say, I have been inspired and encouraged to help. There are actually quite a lot of people in this world that you can look up to and think, "Man...I wish I could be like her/him" and Anuradha Koirala is definitely one of them. I suppose, the fact that she is a Nepalese, is another reason why I can associate and feel more inclined towards her social deed. She is a great example for all the Nepalese and for all the people in this world. God alone knows the difficulties and struggles she must have had while starting this organization. Imagine, a woman(supposedly the 'weaker sex') battling for the exploited women, in a world where the opposite sex wants to tear her down and ravage her in exchange for some monetary value. Some times, It's not even that! They only want to exploit and use these women for the thrill of it. When you think of some of the ugly things that happen in our world, It makes you sick and nauseous. Anuradha Koirala did not sit there, feeling like that. She took it up on herself to do something about It. Since 1993, she and Maiti Nepal have come a long way, rescuing a lot of women from the mouth of the twisted criminal-minded and insanely sex-obsessed people.

CNN honoured her with the CNN HERO OF THE YEAR 2010. As she accepted the award, she thanked the people and she encouraged us all to join her in battling against such cruel activity. What I liked and what inspired me personally was, she called two young people on the stage.(Samrat & Nisha) and she said that It was the 'Youth' who nominated her for this and she believes strongly that the 'Youth' can bring about a change in the future because the future belongs to the 'Youth'. Her trust and belief in us, her selfless sacrifice and her humble approach is enough for me to join hands with her and help her in any small way that I can to fight against sex-trafficking. Are you???

And...Ladies & Gentlemen...This is the line I have been dying to write. I went to the same school as her! Yes, this HERO and I studied in St. Joseph's Convent, Kalimpong, an all girls boarding school run by the Cluny Sisters. Obviously while she was a student there, I wasn't even born but nonetheless, our alma mater is the same and I can proudly say, our roots are the same!!! Hence, all the more reason for me to be awed and encouraged. She is one of us! (Josephites)

http://www.maitinepal.org/ Please visit the website and do your bit.


"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." ~ Christopher Reeve

1 comment:

rohinie said...

long live st. josephs in dear kalimpong...

proud to be a josephite!!!