"Who in the World am I?Ah! That's the great puzzle"

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

S for Shahid

This incident happened in 2009 and I don't know why I didn't write about it then....I mean I thought I would but the procrastinator that I am....well, never mind. This is how the story goes:

I'd completed my graduation. It was some time in June...2009. I'd applied in St. Xaviers, Mumbai for a diploma course in advertising and television and had got through the written round. I'd never been to Mumbai before I was pretty excited when I got the call for the interview. You know, Mumbai is synonymous with Bollywood and you gotta admit...Bollywood is an integral part of life for every Indian! One thing you should know is around that time, I was a big Shahid Kapoor fan! It was post Kaminey and Shahid Kapoor had mesmerized me like no one else! I was literally obsessed and I hoped with all my heart that while in Mumbai, I'd get to see him....even just a glance would be more than enough, I prayed to God.

So I landed at the Mumbai airport...The airport had huge hoardings of the new VIP suitcase advertisements and since Shahid Kapoor endorses the brand, his face was all over! I told myself: "This is a sign" and my heart actually did a somersault! I've always believed in signs you see. Now I can't tell you this exact instant what all signs I've had and what all consequences It's lead to but I am sure many of you would agree....It's all about the Signs!!!!

Then they were all over....The Signs....left, right, all around. I was shopping at Shoppers Stop and the tv there had Shahid Kapoor on! In the taxi, we stopped at a signal and the walls had Shahid Kapoor posters all over! I was passing by a shop and they were playing songs from Kaminey! At the newspaper stand, Shahid Kapoor was on the cover of some magazine called Yuva and the magazine was all over the place. In the morning when I picked up the newpaper, Shahid Kapoor was all over the entertainment section! I knew it! I was going to see him! I knew it.....These were the signs!

So, anyway,  the Interview went well and I got in and two weeks passed by and except for the posters and pictures, I didn't see Shahid Kapoor! Finally It was my last day in Mumbai and I was feeling low. I mean I was so sure I'd see Shahid Kapoor and then I hadn't! I was strolling around Colaba with my friend, Anisha and after some time, we decided to go back to the hotel. We hailed a taxi and got in. The taxi-driver seemed friendly and started having a conversation with us. He asked us where we were from and all that usual stuff. When I told him I'd got into St. Xaveirs and I would be returning to Mumbai and would be living there for a year at least, he told me to take down his number and he said he would be available any time If I called. He was a kind and jolly man and I took down his number.
"Bhaiya aap ka naam kya hai? Kaise save karoon?" (What is your name? What should I save your number as?)
He smiled and replied, "Shahid!" 

2 comments:

kode said...

well miss rajalim looks like Mr. Nostradamus is up to some serious competition and well Robert Langdon to better look out ....
and the best part ""saahid you did meet indeed""

PRI said...

haha. Loved this, Avvan!